DISON, NJ -- Harmonizing with Earth Day, Croda International has celebrated a milestone for its new ECO Project; a $170 million investment in renewable manufacturing that will reduce reliance on fossil fuels and the carbon footprint of its new 100% Bio-Based ECO Range of Surfactants. The next milestone in Croda’s ECO project is the final installation of the exterior infrastructure.
Croda’s ECO Project
- With environmental issues such as climate change, finding an alternative for a key petrochemical based source will have a positive environmental impact and help impact the sustainability profile of everyday products from face creams to toothpaste to paint to laundry detergent
- Net greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere will be reduced by use of Croda’s 100% Bio-Based ECO Range of surfactants compared to their petrochemically derived counterparts
- Croda’s versatile bio-ethylene oxide plant can accept bioethanol from different renewable sources
“Customers are looking for products that are going to enable them to increase the renewable content of their product line and lower their environmental impact. They are looking for bio-based, renewable raw materials verses petrochemical based because people are starting to become aware of the carbon footprint of products and carbon usage.”
“With our new 100% Bio-based ECO Range of Surfactants, we are giving customers a surfactant that has equivalent performance as a petrochemical based product but with a significant sustainability benefit as they are 100% renewable, 100% bio-based and manufactured with renewable energy.” said Rick Hanson, Managing Director, Performance Products
These milestones are not only important to the production of the new 100% Bio-based ECO Range of Surfactants; it also demonstrates Croda’s long-standing dedication to sustainability and putting innovation into action.
With changing consumer expectations for more renewable products and the drive for improved sustainability, consumer goods manufacturers are striving for ingredients to develop products that meet these needs. Croda International Plc is leading the way in finding innovative solutions to meet customer expectations.
“Croda has been manufacturing these key ingredients at our Atlas Point facility since 1941 so the ECO Project, the first of its kind in North America, is a historic milestone for Croda. We are pleased to create the next generation of these ingredients by revolutionizing the product technology, which is known to be the most effective and efficient in the industry, to meet modern demands for sustainability.” said Craig Aiken, Sales Director, Personal Care
Croda’s new 100% Bio-based ECO Range of ingredients will enable its customers to meet their goals of delivering 100% renewable, high-performance products to their consumers and reduce the reliance on fossil fuels in the United States.
This new range of 100% bio-based products will be used in many applications
- Seat foams and coatings in the automobile industry
- Air-and floor-care products in the cleaning industry
- Drilling fluid in the oil industry
- Cosmetics and hair care products in the personal care industry
In 2015, Croda ceremonially broke ground for the ECO Project at its Atlas Point manufacturing site in North America. This investment will equip its Atlas Point facility with the ability to produce the 100% Bio-based ECO Range of Surfactants, by using ethylene oxide derived from bio-ethanol. The ECO Project is expected to be completed in Q4 of 2017.